Since graduating from San Diego State University in 2006, I’ve had several jobs. Some were fun, some were boring, but I gained knowledge from each one—even if it was learning what not to do. From performing marriage ceremonies to collecting shopping carts from the parking lot, I’ve had many experiences in such a short period of time!
And then there’s the here and now. I’ve worked at Mission Fed for a little over four years and I can say with confidence that this is by far the best company I’ve worked for. No, not just because all of my coworkers (and managers) are reading this, but because I’ve never worked at a place that cares so much about our community. Mission Fed gives back to hundreds of educational and other non-profit organizations throughout the county each year. But, that’s not all. In addition to caring about the people in our community, Mission Fed helps the environment, too.
Here are a few things Mission Fed has implemented in an effort to be green. Some of these mean saving some green, too—and as a not-for-profit credit union, that means the money we save also saves money for our membership. I’ve taken the hint, and am doing some of these at home.
- Recycling – All locations, including more than 20 branches and other offices, recycle plastics, paper and glass. Did you know that if you take your own recyclables to the recycling station, they’ll actually pay you for some of it? This used to be part of my allowance when I was younger! Take a look at this website and page two of the City of San Diego Recycling Guide to find a center near you.
- Our janitorial service uses green cleaning products and practices.
- Mission Fed provides green certified options for almost all employee office supply products at the same or similar cost to non-green products. I’m going to get these the next time I’m at the store.
- When it comes to landscaping, we have installed time clocks, sprinklers and various fixtures to reduce water use. At home, I try my best to turn off the water while I’m brushing my teeth, and not let it run too long while I’m washing dishes, either.
- We also recycle all electronics and offer e-recycling days for employees to bring in their personal goods. We recycle batteries and toner, too.
- Many of our properties are now Energy Star certified. We are making lighting and other upgrades to improve energy efficiency. For me, something as simple as turning off the lights at home when I’m not using them really helps cut down on the electricity bill. In 2010 alone, the Energy Star program helped Americans save nearly $18 billion on their utility bills! That’s a lot of green. Read more about the program here.
Helping the environment and also saving some cash? That sounds good to me, at the office and at home. And working for a company that cares about its members, employees, the community and the environment? Well, it sounds like I made the right career choice for me.
This article contains a link for a website that Mission Fed does not control. Mission Fed is not responsible and does not assume liability for the operations, content, links, privacy or security policies of third party websites.